What if the will is held by a foreign entity or a foreign solicitor?

Written by Terry Johansson | 27th September 2013

There are many reasons as to why a person might have a foreign Will. Usually,  a person will entrust their original Will with their solicitor  or with an entity, such as the Public Trustee, for safekeeping.

The original Will must be obtained as it will be required to apply for a grant of Probate and a request will need to be made to the deceased’s foreign solicitors or to the entity who is safekeeping the Will.  The Will may need to be translated if it is not written in English.

Join the Discussion

International Issues

More info on Wills
& Inheritance?

More info

LGBT RightsWhere do you stand?

More info

Making a Will

Find out what’s involved

More info